Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Faith Remembers

I'm not one to daily write in a journal. I will however do so when I'm going through a difficult time. I have found that writing helps me to see my progress in the midst of trials and testings.  As I pray and seek the Lord for His comfort and wisdom, writing things down, helps me to remember.
I was reading in John 21 this morning. The portion that I was reading was the account of Jesus appearing to Peter, John, and the other disciples while they were out fishing one morning. John tells us that they saw a Man, standing on the shore; but they didn't recognize that He was the Lord. This Man asked them if they had caught any fish; and they answered, No. Then this Man instructed them to throw their nets on the right side of the boat; the disciples did as instructed and they caught a net full of fish.  It wasn't until they were trying to bring the heavy net into the boat, that John realized that the Man on the shore was Jesus. The lesson here is not about fishing, or the proper way to cast a net out of a boat, or the best time of day to fish, etc. No, it's a lesson of faith. When they tried to draw the net into the boat, and couldn't, it was in that moment, that John remembered.
I find it odd that the disciples didn't recognize Jesus' voice as He called out to them from the shore. Had they not been with Him night and day for 3 or more years? We know from the scriptures that Jesus spoke to the disciples, how He taught them with words, both in private and in public settings. So why didn't they recognize His voice? I can't fully understand this, for I wasn't there. But I saw in this portion of scripture how there are times that I might not recognize the voice of my Lord either,  but I will recognize His work/miracle in my life. So often I want to hear something. I want to get something from the scriptures that will help me to trust and be at peace. Yes, I've heard the Lord's voice and I've been "given" many portions of scripture while going through a hard time. Yet, what about the times of testing where I don't hear a word, or get a portion of scripture; when the skies seem to be hard as iron and it feels like my prayers don't make their way to heaven? I will go to the drawer of my bedside table that holds my journals, and I can pick one up, and go back over them and see the work/miracle of the Lord in my life.  As I read, I am reminded of God's goodness and love, I am reminded that He knows what is going on, and that He is listening to my prayers. As I look back on the record of the many miracles that the Lord has performed in my life, I see His hand of mercy and love; and this causes my faith to grow stronger. And as I continue to flip the pages of my journals, Faith Remembers; and I can say what John said to the other disciples, "It's the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment