Wednesday, December 5, 2012

As A Child

Mitch and I enjoyed having our four youngest grandchildren visit last weekend.  I love having the kids around, but it can be quite hectic at times!  They are a bundle of energy and they all love to play rough-house, board games, and thy really enjoy coloring or creating paper crafts.  We had dvr'd the movie, Spy Kids, and they loved watching that (and acting like spies later on...too cute!!) along with other cartoons.
To digress a moment, Mitch and I were not able to have this kind of playtime with our older grandchildren, because we lived in Colorado when they were young.  Now, we get to take them to lunch, or to the movies or shopping.  I enjoy having grown-up conversations with them, but feel a bit "cheated" for not being around when they were little.
Anyway, while the little ones were here, there was a point where they were all in the kitchen asking for a treat, yet they had just asked to play a game.  One of the littler ones, who is potty-training, said "I need to go potty Ninnie, will you help me?"  Then, one of them asked for a drink!!  I told them that I could only do one thing at a time, and needed to help the one on the toilet, before we had an accident.  The other kids patiently waited while I was in the restroom, and when I came out, I gave them their treat, and then we played a game.  I remember thinking to myself, don't they know that I can only do one thing at a time?  I even told them, "give me a sec....there is only one of me and four of you!" I can still see their sweet faces, expecting their Ninnie to grant their requests!  There was no hesitation to ask me for these things, they knew that I would give them all that I could give.
 It was in this moment that God brought to mind these verses:

Romans 8:15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”
Matthew 7:11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!

God tells us to come to Him as little children. The Bible tells us that we cannot inherit the kingdom of God without being like a child.  It is an innocent child that trusts that the person they are looking to is eager to help and eager to grant their request.  This is how God wants me to see Him.
God was reminding me that He longs to hear my requests and that He wants to grant my every wish, so to speak, if it is good for me!  God loves to see my sweet face expectantly waiting on Him to do awesome things for me. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to you and Dad for taking care of the Rufflings for us, I know it isn't an easy feat! Love this reminder too, "childish" isn't a bad thing when it comes to our faith and trust in Jesus. What would it be like to have absolute and total trust in Him ~ not a care in the world, knowing He's got it covered?! Wish I could do that easily...Love you.

    ReplyDelete